Our services

At Atticus Planning, we offer a full range of town planning services in Devon and the surrounding areas, including development strategies, pre-application negotiations, community consultation, planning applications, planning appeals, planning enforcement matters and development plan representations.

Planning applications

Pre-application Advice and Community Consultation

Planning Appeals

Strategic land promotion

Land & property appraisals

Planning enforcement

Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I use a planning consultant?

Planning permission can be complicated for the layman to grasp, particularly given the fluctuating nature of the legislation. Consultants have expert knowledge of regulations and can therefore play a vital role in obtaining permission for projects with complex needs.

Can I extend my home without planning permission?

Rules, known as 'permitted development rights, allow you to extend a house without needing to apply for planning permission if specific limitations and conditions are met. If you want to exceed these, then it is likely that an application for householder planning permission will be required.

Can I get confirmation that my proposal is permitted development?

Yes. First, speak to your local planning authority or local planning consultant for advice. To get certainty that your proposal is permitted development, you can apply for a lawful development certificate from your local planning authority which confirms the proposed works are legal. If your project falls outside the permitted development scope, you must apply for planning permission.

Does my application need a supporting planning statement?

A supporting planning statement is generally required for most planning applications and is a work we do as standard with our planning applications.

How long does it take to achieve planning permission?

Most applications generally take eight weeks from when they are registered. This period is 13 weeks for major applications, and it is still longer if an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is required. Applications can, however, take longer than their statutory timeframes.

Can I apply for planning permission for works already carried out?

If you have carried out development without planning permission and it does not constitute permitted development, you can apply for retrospective planning permission for the work that you have already carried out.